Chadar Trek:- Complete Guide
Ladakh is a location in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir that lies between the Kunlun mountain range in the north and the main Great Himalayas to the south. The culture and history of Ladakh are closely related to that of Tibet.
The best time to go on a trek in Ladakh is from June to September when the weather is warm and dry. There are many different treks to choose from, ranging from easy day hikes to multi-day expeditions.
Some of the most popular treks in Ladakh include the Markha Valley Trek, the Chadar Trek, and the Snow Leopard Trek. The Markha Valley Trek is a moderate trek that takes you through beautiful scenery and traditional villages. The Chadar Trek is a more challenging trek that involves walking on a frozen river but at the same time, you get to experience a very new and unique thing. The Snow Leopard Trek is a difficult trek that takes you into the remote mountains in search of the elusive snow leopards.
Chadar Trek also called the Zanskar Gorge is a winter trail trek in the Zanskar region of Ladakh, in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. It is the only practical way to access the Zanskar valley during winter when the Zanskar river is frozen. Chadar trek is at an altitude of 11,123feets
The Chadar Trek is a challenging and rewarding trek that should only be attempted by experienced trekkers. It is a physically demanding trek with long days of walking on ice, often in sub-zero temperatures.
Few important pieces of information to keep in mind about the chadar trek
- To complete the Chadar river trek minimum of 9 to 10 days is required. The trek is at a stretch of 62km.
- The difficulty level of the chadar trek is Difficult
- The temperature during the chadar trek is from 5 to -15 degrees during the days and it goes up to -15 to -25 degrees during the nights.
- The best time for the Chadar trek is between January – February.
- The nearest Airport for the trek is Leh airport, i.e, Kushok Bakula Rimpochee airport.
Steps to be followed for chadar Trekking:
- From any part of the country, you can travel by air to Leh. The nearest airport is Leh airport (Kushok Bakula Rimpochee airport).
- Take proper rest and keep all the essential items especially warm woolen clothes handy as the temperature will be very cold and chill.
- As per the new rules regulated by the Ladakh government authorities, anyone going for the Chadar trek must be spending 2 days at Leh. So that our bodies could adjust to the current weather conditions.
- Also, a medical check-up will be performed before allowing the trekkers to the chadar trek. If you are medically unfit then you will not be allowed for the trek. However, there are few exceptions and this is nothing to be worried about as you will get to know the whole process after you reach there.
- The starting point of the trek is Shingra Koma. One has to travel from Leh and you can witness many scenic locations like Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill, etc. You can travel by car. Once the road reaches its endpoint, you can start working for the chadar trek.
- You will be reaching the place named Gyalpo. This will be your first base camp. From here, the very next day will be a journey to Tibb cave and then to the Naerak camp. From Naerak , back to Tibb cave and then to Gyalpo and again back to Shingra Koma and then back to Leh. You need not worry about the stay and process if you have booked the trek package. There are many trek package that includes food, stay, etc. The budget required for this chadar trek will be around 18,000-19,000INR. This whole trek will take around 8-9days.
Chadar trek is a challenging trek that takes you through some of the most stunning scenery in Ladakh. The trek is challenging because it is done in winter when the temperatures can drop to -30°C. But the experience is worth it, as you get to see the Chadar, or frozen river, up close. Chadar is a beautiful sight, and the trek is an amazing way to see it. Chadar trek is worth trekking. If you want to experience different cultures, different weathers, lots of adventures and want to view beautiful scenarios, then this should be on your bucket list for sure.