Ladakh known as the Mecca for bikers and ‘the Land of high Passes’, offers exceptional and unique opportunities for a road trip to Ladakh. Engaging through some of the world’s highest motorable roads and enjoying a visual treat of this enchanting region of India is like a dream come true for crazy adventurers.
As they expect the journey to be scenic and exciting, the point is that a road trip to Leh Ladakh is not a cakewalk. No matter how astonishing it sounds, the unpredictable weather and rugged landscape never cease to pose challenges and present some obstacles to the bikers. So, if a Leh Ladakh bike trip is on your travel wishlist, then it is a must-try. It gives a smooth bike trip to this cold desert while combating the challenges en route.
Best time for a Leh Ladakh Bike Trip from Delhi
June to September is the best time for a bike trip to Leh Ladakh from Delhi. Bikers can delight in the best tourist circuits here during these months.
Many passes and roads remain closed during winters, around October to March. It may also extend up to May. Abstain from taking a road trip to Ladakh during these months. You may encounter uncertain climatic conditions and inaccessible roads if you opt to visit Leh-Ladakh during this month. A bike trip to Ladakh should be avoided during monsoons also.
Why is Leh-Ladakh an Exceptional Spot for Bikers?
Bikers love destinations that offer them generous doses of thrill and adventure but when it comes to Leh-Ladakh, the level of a road trip excites manifolds for sure. The main reason for a road trip to Leh-Ladakh is that it snakes through the routes that are listed among the topmost road trips in the world. The striking landscapes, breathtaking passes, ancient monasteries, narrow and steep curves, snow-capped mountains, crystal clear blue sky, dense white clouds, and many such surreal spots add more dimensions to our journey. Also, during the road trip, the magnetic charm allows liberty for the riders to stop wherever it feels like.
Routes for Leh Ladakh Bike Trip from Delhi
Each route leads you to your dream destination. Well, if we talk about Delhi to Ladakh distance, approximately 1023 km have to be covered from Delhi. Bikers can beat the roads of Ladakh with two or three amazing routes from Delhi to Leh, depending on their curiosity for the trip.
As the distance, it is onerous to cover Leh-Ladakh in a day, as it usually takes 2 to 3 days to reach Leh-Ladakh via road. Drive time or day may exceed depending on the number of stops taken on the road trip.
Route 1: Delhi to Leh via Manali
If you are into photography of landscape and want to enjoy the beauty of nature at a high altitude, opt for Delhi to Leh via the Manali route.
- Best route from Delhi to Ladakh via Manali: Delhi – Chandigarh – Manali – Rohtang Pass – Keylong – Jispa – Sarchu – Tanglang La – Leh
- From Delhi to Ladakh Distance via Manali: 1008 km. (approx.)
- Travel time is 26 hours approximately.
From Delhi to Leh via Manali route is divided into two phases–
- From Delhi to Manali – NH 1 is the main route towards Manali. You can easily enjoy the ride to Chandigarh. The thrill begins once you start approaching Rupnagar, and the uphill climb begins. Bikers can take a short refreshing break before heading towards Manali after reaching Mandi.
- From Manali to Leh – This phase offers an extreme hilly road leading straight to Leh. Bikers will reach the high mountain pass on the eastern Pir Panjal Range of the Himalayas called Rohtang Pass after a drive of about 51 km. It lets them enjoy a breathtaking ride through the pass and reach Sarchu after a drive of about 172 km en route they will cross Keylong and Jispa. After reaching Sarchu then it is just 250 km away from the dream destination.
The ideal duration for a Leh Ladakh Bike Trip From Delhi
The approximate duration for a Delhi to Ladakh by bike is considered to be 15 days or more for a decent round trip. However, it also depends on several other factors, which include:
- The route chosen
- Total number of halts taken during the trip
- Climatic conditions or bike problems
- Trip schedule
Bikes play a very important role in such a long tour of a challenging landscape. It is suggested to ride a heavy-engine motorcycle or specially designed off-roading bikes so that we can carry a heavy load and provide a comfortable ride. Once you enter Ladakh on your bike, the challenging landscapes, the sense of accomplishment, and a new experience will welcome them.